Polar Pad Features
Compare features by size below.
|Dimensions||15.5" x 19.75"||19.75" x 26"||19.75" x 35"||30" x 40.5"|
|Suggested Pet Sizes||Small||Small to Medium||Medium to Large||Large|
|Multiple Dogs Per Pad|
|Effective up to 4 hours|
|Works Outdoors & Indoors|
|effective outdoors (shade) up to 95°F|
|Soft, Plush, Reversible Cover Included|
|Easy to Clean|
|Double Edge Stitching for Extra Durability|
|Warranty||Limited 1 Year||Limited 1 Year||Limited 1 Year||Limited 1 Year|
How it works.
The secret behind the Polar Pad's chilling effect.
If you are like many people .... you want to know how something works - the science involved in a product like this. In this tab we attempt to answer that question without giving away the cooling secret ... at least completely!
- Heavy, cumbersome and expensive water only cooling pet pads are now obsolete.
- The Polar Pad uses highly efficient "Phase Changing Gel ", rather than water, to absorb heat from your pet. This allows the cooling pad to be much lighter - making it easier for you to manuever your Polar Pad around your home.
- The heat absorbing ability of the Polar Pad is based on a concept often presented in high school chemistry class called the Endothermic process. This process occurs slowly as the "Gel" absorbs heat from your pets body. As the "Gel" absorbs heat it partially changes phases from a mostly solid form to a more liquid form.
- Our Gel "recipe" is completely safe and has been extensively tested and formulated to produce optimum cooling efficiency.
Endothermic Process! Phase Change! Wow, that sounds complicated! It really is very simple - here is an example to illustrate the concept;
- Example: Think of an ice pack on your elbow (or knee) - as the ice pack melts, it absorbs heat from your body which you feel as cool relief. The Gel in the Polar Pad produces a much more subtle cooling effect than an ice pack, but the concept is the same.
- Depending on ambient air temperature, it normally takes 2 to 4 hours of continuous use before the Gel will completely change phases. Once this happens you can allow the Polar Pad to recharge on its own, or do a fast recharge by running cool water over the surface, placing in your refrigerator or even dunking it in a ice filled cooler if you are outdoors.
We take special care to use pet safe materials.
Is Gel toxicity important?
If you are considering a different cooling pet pad, please make sure the Gel used is safe before you buy. You should be aware that not all gel cooling pads are created equal ... or ... to the same safety standards.
Most pets will chew on almost anything! If they are chewing on it, then they very well might swallow some of it. So when we started our search for a cooling gel that we could use in our Polar Pads our two top priorities were:
- Safe, Non-Toxic Gel formula
- Safe, Non-Toxic chew resistant cover
Is our Gel safe? You decide ...
The main ingredient in the Polar Pads cooling gel is distilled water.
Water makes up 74% of the volume of our gel. In addition to water, there are 8 other ingredients;
- Glycerin - 23%, and
- 7 Inert ingredients, close to 3%
- Glycerin - a thick liquid formed by combining fat with water. The fat used in Glycerin can come from vegetables, coconuts or animal fat. We specified vegetables or coconuts for our gel. Glycerin is mainly used as a solvent in personal care products such as lotions, soaps and toothpaste. However, it is also widely used in the medical field for throat sprays and suppositories. Ingestion of large amounts may result in diarrhea, dehydration, gas and nausea but is classified by the Food and Drug Administaration (FDA) as Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS).
- 7 Inert Ingredients - In chemistry, the term inert is used to describe a substance that is not chemically reactive. The Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for all 7 of the inert compounds used in the Polar Pad list each compound specifically as "Non-Dangerous". In fact, these compounds are well known and commonly used in other commercial applications.
Is our waterproof cover safe? You decide ...
The Polar Pads foam core is surrounded by a waterproof membrane. The outer layer of that membrane consists of a very durable blend of nylon and polyester that does not contain acetate (safe to ingest although not recommended). The inner layer, or backing, is what makes the membrane waterproof. This inner layer is a very thin and flexible vinyl or plastic.
Safety and Toxicity information for the inner layer
Frequently Asked Questions
On really hot days the Polar Pad loses its cooling ability after a couple of hours - is there any way to "recharge" it quickly?
Yes! You can fold it up and slide the Polar Pad into the refrigerator for about 20 minutes - or for a really quick recharge - dunk it in a cooler full of ice water or spray it off with cold water from your hose. Since the Polar Pad is completely waterproof, you don't have to worry about damaging it!
Can I freeze my Polar Pad to really "super charge" the cooling effect?
NO! Freezing may damage the memory foam core and will void your warranty.
Why is your GEL model better than the WATER models?
Great question! If you have purchased a water only model, then you know how difficult it is to pick it up and relocate the pad after adding water. The water only models are VERY heavy and awkward. The water sloshes around inside the membrane AND the foam core often deforms (separates from the edges) if not carried properly. The Polar Pad has the following advantages:
- Much lighter
- The Gel is more efficient than water in absorbing heat
- Polar Pad foam core is guaranteed not to separate or deform when carried
- Zippered cover included
Why do you include a fabric cover?
Other cooling mats on the market charge you extra for a cover - we include a cover mainly because of customer feedback we have received. Remember, the cover does reduce the cooling effect - but you can use this to your pets advantage in cooler weather! See some of the customer comments below:
- "Surface of the mat is too slippery for my dog"
- "My cat will only use the Polar Pad with a sheet over it"
- "My dog loves their Polar Pad, but won't use it in the winter :( "
- "We put a sheet over our Polar Pad - our dog seems to enjoy it more with a fabric cover"
What is the outside material made of?
The Polar Pads outer shell is a waterproof membrane made up of two layers. The outer layer is made using a very durable blend of nylon and polyester that does not contain acetate (safe to ingest although not recommended). The inner layer, or backing, is what makes the membrane waterproof and is a highly flexible vinyl or plastic.
Will it harm my dog if they ingest the gel?
The gel is non-toxic, chemical free and safe if ingested - see the (SAFE?) tab for more info.
Can I use my Polar Pad outdoors?
Yes, however.... if you read the (How?) tab then you already know our cooling gel works by changing "phases" - from a semi-solid to a semi-liquid state. If the Polar Pad is placed in direct sunlight on a hot day it can change phases and neutralize the cooling effect. We recommend keeping the Polar Pad in the shade when used outdoors. Also, spraying the pad with cold water from your hose (or dunking it in a ice filled cooler) will quickly recharge the gel infused foam core on hot days.
A few words from our customers.
Great, Love it!
karen crauswell - (March 3, 2017)
This is a great item...for people as well as dogs. It really does help keep my dog cool.
Janet Hamm - (August 25, 2017)
It works and keep my dog cool. thanks
Sharon C. Maxwell - (June 27, 2017)
My cats even like it.
Seems to be holding up well. My cats even like it.
Amazon Customer - (May 19, 2017)
What sorcery is this that you have brought into Nilla's home?
I was a little skeptical. Went with Polar Pad, as it has a nylon covering, as opposed to the rubberized finish on some of the other pads. My Priscilla likes to scratch at her bedding, and I figured the rubberized thing would be toast after one good scratch. This also comes with the two-tone cover, that is removable and washable (and not bright blue), not to mention soft for Priscilla's little belly!
At first, Priscilla was convinced that this was the work of the devil and she wanted no part of it - her expression said, "Hooman, what sorcery is this that you have brought into Nilla's home?" I put the cover on it and laid next to it. If she was to get her cuddles, she would have to try it. She reluctantly tried it and fell asleep in no time.
It does cool ... it really works ... and the cover is a very nice option to have.
Priscilla still thinks Mr. DevilMan might be trying to steal her soul while she naps on "freakishly unnatural bed" but she is getting accustomed to it after just a day.
It is sturdy and heavy - with the nylon cover and the soft cover, I am guessing it will be very durable.
ChristoStad - (June 6, 2017)
The pad works as stated in the description. The dog loves it.
Patricia K Mink - (August 23, 2016)
Suitability: For all pets, orthopedic memory foam cools, soothes and rejuvinates. Membrane: Thick polyester and nylon blend (acetate free) that is safe for your pet. Similar to the material used to cover baby crib mattresses. Inside: Dense foam core infused with safe cooling gel. Fabric Cover: Plush cotton/polyester blend. Non-toxic, soft, plush fabric with zipper. Dimensions: 15.5" x 19.75" x .75" (3/4 inch) Display Box: 10" x 8" x 2.25" - (1 unit, 2.5 lbs) Brand: Travelin K9 SKU: P-00110 UPC: 869306000110 GTIN-14: 00869306000110
Suitability: For all pets, orthopedic memory foam cools, soothes and rejuvinates. Membrane: Thick polyester and nylon blend (acetate free) that is safe for your pet. Similar to the material used to cover baby crib mattresses. Inside: Dense foam core infused with safe cooling gel. Fabric Cover: Plush cotton/polyester blend. Non-toxic, soft, plush fabric with zipper. Dimensions: 26" x 19.75" x 0.75 (3/4 inch)" Display Box: 10" x 13.5" x 2.25" - (1 unit, 4.0 lbs) Brand: Travelin K9 SKU: P-00127 UPC: 869306000127 GTIN-14: 00869306000127
Suitability: For all pets, orthopedic memory foam cools, soothes and rejuvinates. Membrane: Thick polyester and nylon blend (acetate free) that is safe for your pet. Similar to the material used to cover baby crib mattresses. Inside: Dense foam core infused with safe cooling gel. Fabric Cover: NO COVER AVAILABLE - Large Dimensions: 35" x 19.75" x 0.75 (3/4 inch)" Display Box: 10" x 11.5" x 3" - (1 unit, 6.5 lbs) Brand: Travelin K9 SKU: P-00134 UPC: 869306000134 GTIN-14: 00869306000134
Suitability: For all pets, orthopedic memory foam cools, soothes and rejuvinates. Membrane: Inside: Dense foam core infused with safe cooling gel. Fabric Cover: NO COVER AVAILABLE - X-Large Dimensions: 40.5" x 30" x .75" (3/4 inch) Display Box: Not Available Case Box: 15" x 15" x 12" - (4 units, 35 lbs) Brand: Travelin K9 SKU/MPN: P-00196 UPC: 869306000196 GTIN-14: 00869306000196